Hey book nerds! I was inspired to start this project by Lala from BooksandLala on Booktube. Last year she tackled a year-long project of culling her closet of TBR books. I’m pretty happy with how my physical TBR stands though, so I am not looking to do that exactly. I would like to clean up my Want to Read list on Goodreads though so I figure I’d make that the goal of my project instead.
I have this tendency to just add books to my Want to Read list on Goodreads based on covers or hype here in the online bookish community. I don’t stop to really consider if it is a book I really am interested in reading. As a result, my list has gotten way out of hand. As of this post my Want to Read list is sitting at 1244 books. I’m never going to get to around to reading them all, especially since I am adding to this list on a daily basis.
In an effort to get my list somewhat under control I’ve decided every month I’m going to pick 6 books off my Want to Read list. I will give myself a month to read them. If I don’t manage to get them read then I will delete them from the list. I will give myself 1 save and if I’m in the middle of reading a book it stays since technically it has moved to my currently reading shelf.
So without further ado here are my picks for May.
- The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – I actually have a bind up of the series on my physical TBR shelf. I purchased it during the VNSA sale in 2017. I will commit to reading the first book and see where I go from there. I have a feeling I will fall in love with this series. I hear wonderful things about it.
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – I will be honest. I don’t know if I’ll get around to this one. It really isn’t calling to me at all. I don’t own this one. If I get it then I will need to borrow a copy from my library.
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck – I own a copy of this book as well. It is on my physical TBR shelf since I purchased it in 2017. I keep meaning to pick it up but the size of it intimidates the hell out of me. I know weird for me to say after taking on The Stand by Stephen King. Maybe I’ll see if I can get a copy of the audiobook to listen to while I read it.
- Things We Know by Heart Jessi Kirby – I honestly don’t remember where I saw this book. I remember thinking the synopsis sounded like it would be one of those gut-wrenching, emotional roller coaster rides of a contemporary. I never picked up a copy though so I’ll have to see if my library has it.
- Extraordinary Means by Robyn Schneider – I think I added this one after it was recommended to fans of TFIOS. Don’t judge, I went through a weepy contemporary phase. Ok, let’s be honest. I still have bouts of being in a weepy contemporary phase. I like books that make me cry dammit! I can’t help it. I hear mixed reviews on this one though, so who knows if I will like it. I’ll have to read it and let you know. Provided I can get a copy of it from my library of course.
- Liars, Inc by Paula Stokes – I added this one to my list after seeing it on Stormi’s blog Books, Movies, Reviews. Oh, My! If you haven’t checked out her blog, then I highly recommend you do. She’s awesome and I envy her review game. Someday, Andie. Someday. Stormi’s review made me want to pick this one up and give it a go. I like mystery thrillers, even though the YA thrillers tend to be a hit or miss with me for some reason. I’ll have to see if my library has a copy and let you know what I think about it.
That’s it for my May picks. I don’t know how many of these I’ll manage to get through. I hope I can at least get to three of them. Have you read any of these books? Which would you recommend I start with? Let me know down below in the comments section.
As always keep on reading and stay book nerdy my friends!